Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A couple of quick notes

Maybe, just maybe, the weather will behave and people can start getting their planting done. It's tough when the ground is stirred into liquid mud.


The pump continues to be an issue. The DPW folks are aware and will get to taking a look soon. I think it's a gasket problem, but for right now, it won't hold consistent suction.
As an alternative, please haul water from home - we use a couple of 5 gallon Coleman camping cans and some one gallon plastic jugs. You can trek to the pond but remember, Boxborough has a ton of poison ivy, which grows in that tall grass quite nicely. It's not fun.
Also, during one trek the other day, I found a couple of spots where deer have bedded down. Deer mean ticks and ticks, like poison ivy, could appear on the town seal.

The town was over recently and mowed the area around the garden. Please keep an eye on the soft soil around you plot. If you see deer tracks, let us know.

The manure pile has been in place for almost a month and needs to be scattered soon. It's kind of ugly and part of our agreement is to move it out ASAP. We will choose a spot and scatter it there for the community corn plot. I'm aiming for Sunday or some evening next week.

Weeds: As you pull weeds, please don't toss them over the fence. There is a pile to the left of the path as you are leaving. Dump them there. Eventually, we are going to put up a compost bin, but it hasn't happened yet.

Rocks: Again, if you're moving stones from your plot, make sure they make it into the woods. Hate to lose a mower blade because we didn't make the extra five feet. Thanks

Ok, I guess it's more than a few things...


1 comment:

  1. So we are not to use the pump? I've been using it with some reasonable success yesterday and today.

    I've seen the first bugs in my plot this evening when I went to water and add a few more plants. They are tiny black beetles that were all over my eggplant. I hosed them off with the watering can and squished the rest. I picked a few marigold flowers and shredded them onto the plant hoping it would deter them. They don't look like the hopping flea beetles I normally see here at home.

    ReplyDelete